1 bunch amaranth greens roughly chopped
1 big onion roughly chopped
1 medium ripe tomato roughly chopped
5 green chilles chopped
Tamarind to match the heat of the chillies
Salt to taste
2 tsp oil
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
a pinch of asafoetida
Heat oil in a pan and add mustard,cumin seeds.Add the onions,salt,turmeric,chillies and tomatoes.When onions turn translucent add the chopped greens.Cover and cook for 5 minutes.Roughly blend the cooked greens in a blender and enjoy hot with ghee and rice.
Note:People with kidney problems should not eat the reheated cooked greens.
Aesop's Fables (6th century BC) compares the Rose to the Amaranth to illustrate the difference in fleeting and everlasting beauty.
- A Rose and an Amaranth blossomed side by side in a garden,
- and the Amaranth said to her neighbour,
- "How I envy you your beauty and your sweet scent!
- No wonder you are such a universal favourite."
- But the Rose replied with a shade of sadness in her voice,
- "Ah, my dear friend, I bloom but for a time:
- my petals soon wither and fall, and then I die.
- But your flowers never fade, even if they are cut;
- for they are everlasting."